Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Chennai Story Begins !!!

2:15... Arrival waiting seat, Netaji International Airport, Kolkata
So here I am at Netaji International Airport, Kolkata to board the flight to Chennai at 6 in the morning. Its 2:15 am and I am sitting all alone at the airport waiting for some kind of miracle to happen so that the remaining 4 hours pass in a flash. But sure that won’t happen. The journey started this evening with mom and dad coming to the station to drop me so that I could board the Kolkata train. There is something special with mom coming to the station. She generally cries when the train starts crawling. No this is not special. What I have realized she cried only when I am going to some unknown territories. For example she cried when I was going to SCMHRD, she cried when I was going to Trivandrum for ILP etc. So this time too she cried. Dad as always pulled up the strongest face of his. He too got emotional this time which mom informed me later. The Reason for his changed feelings this time was because he knew that Chennai is not an awesome place to live. But fact remains a fact and I have to go.
This was the longest taxi trip from station to airport that I ever had. I guess all the cars, buses and trucks were there on road today as they were aware that I was coming. As a matter of fact I am travelling alone. Travelling alone has got both positives and negatives associated with it. The first negative that I could figure out was that peeing is a pain. You cannot leave your luggage unattended and you have to take it to loo along with you. Getting bore is one of the other negatives. But this can be turned into your advantage if you open yourself up a bit to talk to strangers. I did that. I talked to a lot of random people today. I stared my night by a chat with one of the taxi drivers. The guy was not getting passengers so started the chat. He started his stories as to how firangis don’t pay them what they ask for or how women bargain more than men etc. Once I moved into the airport I, I asked a security personnel as to where the luggage counter was. He informed me that construction is under progress and inconvenience is regretted. This was just the beginning. Since then we chatted for some two hours about airport security, the system in place, the morale of a common security guy, politics and off course women. We were joined by four other security wallahs which made it more of a GD than just a chat. Few supported the women’s 33% bill while few were orthodox enough to not support women wearing miniskirts. But one thing which all them agreed to was that public display of affection is not good and our generation is too much into it.
I am writing this piece just to make sure that I am awake for the next three hours. Once I board the flight, I am in for a long sleep because I am very sure that I am not lucky enough to have a gorgeous talkative open chick sitting beside me and talking her heart out to me.
4:48....Boarding terminal, Netaji International Airport, Kolkata
I was watching a movie but could not resist my anxiety to write this. Today I saw what I always heard of. I saw what I had an idea about but could not picture. There I was sitting at one of the corner chairs subtly staring at one of the cute girls around and suddenly with a flash of light passed four ladies. All clad in wonderful chiffon colourful saarees. But what was striking about all of them was that they were all painted with loads of revelon makeups and all of them were way past their fourties. Yes you guessed it right, they were all Air India hostesses. My god what an experience that was. Frankly speaking, no offences, but I would rather prefer travelling in the sleeper class coach of a slow passenger trainif Air India has to offer this to their passengers. Anyways, just one more point to mention at this point of time. In the whole boarding area there were two pretty girls and none of them are travelling in my flight (smart I am, saw their boarding passes). So happy journey, happy sleeping.

No comments: