Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The dad side of story

My existence in this world can be attributed to two individuals, my mom and my dad. Not that you are any different because the same applies to your existence also. But then I specially wanted to emphasize the importance of the dad side of it. In the subsequent text I will try to talk more about it.
To start with, we all are FCBs (Female Chauvinist Bitches) when it comes to talking and admiring about our moms. No discounts there. Even I am one of them who are the biggest fans of their moms but then that should not be the reason to completely ignore the dad side of it. Be it movies, songs, stories, poems or for that matter even news paper articles, moms always get the well deserved mention for giving birth and bringing up the child. But in the process of doing that we tend to forget the importance of dad side of the story. The very reason of writing this text is that I wanted to tell you as to how difficult being a dad is and how his role changes during the life time of a kid.

My dad was always a sweet charming personality but then he was a bit strict too when I was a kid. Being the younger kid, I was very close to my mom and all my demands, misdeeds, requests went to dad through mom. And most of them were fulfilled by dad. But still dad was strict when it came to studies, playing for long hours etc. And the reason behind that was he wanted me to utilize my time in a rather better way so that I could achieve something in life. As I grew up, he modified his role a bit. From being a protector he transformed more into a guide. By the time I was in my teen age he started supporting me in all my decisions. He rarely pushed his wishes on me. Rather he guided me as to what could be the possible implications of my steps. In fact in my case, he is the reason what I am today. He went extra mile to drop me to school, tuitions etc so that I don’t waste my energy in mundane affairs like driving etc. Once I was in engineering, he turned into a friend. Most of the times he used to be ears to all my crap and usually came up with supporting logics. The same continues when I joined the job and then subsequently MBA. He always supported what I wanted to do. A lot of times my decisions were extravagant and vague but then he taught me to believe in myself and do what I wanted to do. I have travelled a lot and he is one primary reason for that. Not just financially, but he used to be the one who always took the lead when I came with some idea to travel somewhere.

Enough of my dad. He is just awesome. I will rather try to answer one thought that we all always have in our minds. If our dads are so friendly, so supportive, why do they tend to be harsh sometimes or why do they push their thinking on us sometimes. To answer this, let us go back to the beginning of human race. Man’s role in the society was defined to be a hunter. He usually went out to the jungles to hunt in groups and returned back home with his share of the pie. Now when he went out, he used to interact with fellow men, he used to talk about family affairs of other hunters. His thought process developed based on the discussions that he mostly had with his fellow men. And when others talked about their good lives, their strong sons, their beautiful charming daughter, he wished that his own sons and daughters become like them as that was socially accepted form. Thought the social structure changed with time the basic thought process remained the same. We were born and brought up in the times when our dads used to be the sole money earners and moms used to be the home makers. Now dad’s interaction with fellow men, this time in office, about fellow men’s sons and daughters’ achievements started becoming the building block of his expectations from us. May be we can also name this to be the peer pressure. But then this very expectation became the primary reason of him being harsh on us at times or him becoming the decision makers for us at times. Most of the dads are like that only. But then they do ease of this pressure with time. They understand what their kids can do and what they can not.

I guess the most important thing is timing of actions in this case. A dad should be decision maker for a child, a guide for a teenager and a friend for the grown up. The important this is the time and the ease with which he changes his roles. The swiftly and timely he does that, the more you start loving and admiring him.

2 comments:

The Pack said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Pack said...

The predicament with having such a flourishing Film Industry, which only churns Musicals from its belly, is - all the thoughts you ever wish to pen down has already been written, re-written and all the more…composed even superbly. If there’s some thought process cropping up in your mind, and you start to pen down…especially a romantic or a melancholy chain of thoughts….after a few words you accept and realise that you can only appreciate how magnificently it has been expressed earlier by some great poet and how superbly it has been composed by some music director. More often than not, you will only be able to appreciate the emphatic and pragmatic approach, the poet has taken as compared to the words you try and put on paper(at least, I feel so) and would prefer to hum the existing version than creating a composition of your own.

But yesterday, after recalling a conversation I had had with my Dad, my chain reaction of thoughts led to the discovery of a pretty strange fact about the literary and music dominion(and I would love to be proven wrong), that there is not a single sonnet ever written in the praise of a Father or the kind of relationship he shares with his children, or the emotions and sentiments he has(except for one odd song from the movie ‘Akele Hum Akele Tum’ and one odd movie ‘Daddy’, both of which, I feel, are injustice). There are so many songs, so many sonnets and so many flicks I can recall which glorify the efforts, pain and sentiments of a Mother(and I am not complaining hereby, I have great respect for women and their efforts), but why has the Paternal Fraternity been so neglected? Why is there not a single act, a single sonnet worth humming that I can recall, which glorifies a Father and his emotions and sentiments? Why is there such a bias? I am not a father, I do not understand what it feels like to be a father, but still, I have seen what pains my father has gone through to raise us all up…I have seen him on the verge of breaking down, yet somehow being able to pull himself up and stand so firmly and straight…I have seen, how in every action of his, every conversation he made in front of us kids, there was always a hidden message, a teaching…I have seen him in pain every time I used to meet with an accident…and I feel…it must be the same for others too…Then why has art world never responded to this urge, this feel of the Fathers?

The pains and efforts a mother goes through in carrying us in their wombs and giving us birth is simply incomparable. But, I guess, apart from that, a father does have similar attachment and affection, similar excitements and sadness…then why have the poets simply ignored this beautiful and unchartered territory of thoughts? Why is there such a bias towards mothers?(And, I must clarify, here I am not lessening any of the glorification mothers deserve and get.) Can I have some answers please