Monday, April 27, 2009

I hate friend's friend

This was not the first time that I was traveling to Ranchi in an early morning Shatabdi, but like any other time, I was excited. With every bought ticket and every boarding on train or flight, the only thing that I think is that who would be my co-passenger. In long journeys, this thought becomes very important for me because I am not one of those who like reading novels and not also one of those who can remain in mute mode for more than 48 hours. As any other single ready to mingle guy, I always wished that I may end up getting a smart, intelligent and beautiful young lady (Boy!!! don’t laugh, I know few of them who are pretty and intelligent) as my co-passenger and on this day also the wish was same. I booked a chauffer driven Civic to drop me at Howrah station in time. The train was standing at platform 10. My legs were pretty excited to reach the seat and I started walking towards my coach. Ok so there I was. My name was correctly printed against seat no. 52. Being a chair car, 52 was the middle seat in the 3 seater side so this time the probability of having a dream co-passenger was higher, 100% more than same figure had I got the window seat. And then the search began as to who was sitting at seat 51 and 53. Wuff!! What day is today. On 51, Ms ABC, F 22 and on 53, Ms XYZ, F 23 and of course on 52, me, Mr Demanding, M 24. So it was kind of my day. I was more than happy. In fact elated. I went directly to the washroom, prepared myself for the occasion and started walking towards my seat. Man, that was more than what I expected. Untill I was at my seat, there were two young ladies sitting besides me, one at each side. But when I was there on my seat, I had two young, beautiful and smart ladies sitting on either side of mine (intelligence was yet to be checked, but with the looks they had, you would be mad if you are still asking for intelligence). The train took off and so did our chit chat. Both of them were very friendly. One of them was working in an IT Co. while the other one was a student at one of the most famous fashion designing institutes of India. Leaving these credentials apart also, both of them were intelligent. Those were 6 hours of complete fun. We talked on a lot of things. We even shared our numbers with a promise to meet again in kolkata when they are back in a week. In fact one of them almost proposed me. You know the day was real special. We all parted at Ranchi station with a sweet train journey memory in our heads.

Now this was some story. You know these kinds of stories never ever ever happen to me. They never ever happen to you. They at times or never happen to your close. But this always happens to your friend’s friend whom you don’t know. Just ponder over and you will get several instances when your friend had cited such stories saying that you know, one of my friend’s friend, I don’t know him, had this kind of an adventure when he was going to Goa or my friend’s friend met Mukesh Ambani at a Delhi Metro station or my friend’s friend almost killed a lion (hehe, I am sorry for this one, but people cite stories of similar heroic caliber). The point is that all this dream things never happen to you in real but certainly happen, almost everytime, to your friend’s friend (you can extend this pointer to any number counts).

By the way, before I close I must say what happened in my story. I reached Howrah in an Ambassador (Non AC, It was not a taxi, even then it was expensive). Mine was a window seat. And the seat besides me was vacant. The coach was quite noisy but even then I slept all through the journey. And I kept on cursing all my friend’s friend for having such great experiences in their lives.

No comments: